You will see this soup on most restaurant menus around Thailand. It is often made with minced pork or chicken, so if you’re vegetarian like me, be sure to ask for ‘jay.’
You will need:
- 1/2 roll Egg tofu cut into 1cm pieces
- 1/2 cup soft glass noodles cut into 2inch pieces
- 1 coriander root
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp ground white pepper
- 1 stem of Chinese cabbage cut into 2cm pieces
- 1/3 carrot cut into 2cm pieces
- handful mushrooms of your choice
- 2 cups stock (remember, you will want to use imported vegetetable or fish stock. Thai Knorr stock cubes contain gluten in the form of soy sauce.)
- 2 tbsp gluten free soy sauce or 1tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- pinch of salt
- Pound the coriander root, garlic and pepper until smooth. Add the soy sauce.
- Add the stock to a pot and bring to a light boil. Add the glass noodles, egg tofu and any veggies you want.
- After a few minutes at a light boil, add in the rest of your ingredients. Use soy sauce and sugar to taste.