My first quinoa experiment was with GF Choc PB Balls and they turned out great. The sad part is, they didn’t last long!
- 1/3 cup quinoa, pre-rinsed
- 2/3 cup water
- 16 whole (pitted) dates, no sugar added
- 1/2 cup raw almonds with skin
- 1/3 cup Skippy crunchy peanut butter (almond butter is an option)
- 1/4 cup Hershey’s semi sweet chocolate chips (make sure they are made in the USA)
- 1 tablespoon honey (optional)
TIP: Make this recipe into 20 Quinoa Protein Bites at about 1″ each, and you’ve got a snack that’s under 100 calories!
- Add quinoa and water to a small sauce, cover and bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook approximately 15 minutes or until all water has been absorbed. Cool to room temperature and refrigerate at least 2 hours. Overnight will is ok too.
- Using a food processor, add dates and pulse until they form a ball. Remove dates and place in a medium mixing bowl.
- Add almonds to the food processor and pulse until finely minced. Be careful not to turn the almonds into mill.
- Add dates, almonds, peanut butter and cold quinoa to the food processor and pulse until ingredients are well combined.
- Return ingredients to the mixing bowl, shape into 6 – 2″ x 1″ bars, about 1″ thickness. Place on a dish, refrigerate until chocolate is set.
- In a small saucepan, add chocolate chips and honey. Melt over low heat or in a double-boiler. Evenly spread a thin layer of chocolate over the top of each protein bar, return to the refrigerator and allow chocolate to harden.
- Bars can be stored in an airtight container for several days.
**Optional, omit the honey and add chocolate chips to the food processor when adding the quinoa.